Saturday, February 5, 2011

It Feels Good to be Mama

Today was a normal Saturday. Seven people with seven different agendas. I was up at dawn to take Braden to sell doughnuts for the youth group. Then we headed to the grandparents to get Amberly. She spent her first night away from home since her adoption. She was so obviously spoiled rotten by the time I picked her up that I seriously considered a no return policy, for the weekend at least! We had to stop by Piggly Wiggly to buy Popsicles with the $5.00 bribe that Nana gave her so she would leave. When we finally made it home, Shawn and I decided to sneak away for a couple of hours for a mid-day date. The little ones seemed in good spirits and Jana's home for the weekend so it seemed right. WRONG. We were in Walmart when we got the call that Nana and Papa's "little angel" had broken the door frame because she was mad at Anna, her least favorite sister since Jana left for college (misplaced separation anxiety). Our two hour date ends all too soon with the promise of two very upset sisters and a little boy who's behavior spiraled out of control. Once everyone was settled I sat down for a minute at the computer. I felt a weight on my arm and almost shrugged it off when I looked down and noticed that Christian had climbed up beside me and fallen asleep. Sometimes you just need Mama.

I'm really thankful to be that today. For all of them. For the college student who has decided that she LOVES for me to take her to school instead of driving herself. For the senior who wants to be independent more than anything but still lays her head on my chest to hear my heartbeat when all's not right with her world. For the almost teenager who couldn't sell a single box of donuts until I demonstrated how he should approach a "would be doughnut buyer" by waltzing into the ethnic barbershop and startling them into buying a box...no questions asked. For the anxious little girl who is finally getting her feet wet. For the little boy who mercifully doesn't remember all of the bad things that would have made him anxious. It feels good to be Mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment